Saturday, September 09, 2006


Dear Friends and Family,

On Tuesday morning in Gmail, I found a wistful comment from a friend who said that while she was enjoying my travels via this blog, she found that she missed the, shall we say, livelier me. I read the e-mail and contemplated her comments as I set about errand-running on my final full day in Bangkok.

Well, for Corn’s sake, I have been quite serious, have I not? I think this has a lot to do with the fact that I’m keeping my own company these days and that I’ve spent a lot time contemplating not-so-easy to answer questions such as where I want to teach, what I value in my own life, Thai culture, as well as worrying about how I am going to do in Korea, or… well, anyway, the list goes on. Since the middle of the night taxi ride from Bangkok International to the Davis Hotel, I’ve kept my eyes propped wide open every minute of every day and I’ve been filling my brain and senses with as many observations and details as possible. This blog is laden with my experiences and observations, although it does not contain half of what I’ve seen or could tell of (scary thought). So part of my brain was preoccupied searching for Bridget stories when I committed to buying two items from a street vendor, opened my wallet, and realized that I needed to go to the ATM. I was embarrassed that I had bargained her down without having money to pay for my purchases (one was unplanned) and I conveyed this as best I could to the vendor (who actually lowered her price thinking I was walking away!) and hurried to the ATM at the BTS station.

Out came that day’s funds and while I re-commenced digging for Bridget stories, I also decided to purchase my Skytrain ticket right then to create a short cut between the ATM and the street vendor. I couldn’t think of a notable Bridget moment past the CELTA, barring the one-woman-karaoke through Chang Mai. Anyway, ticket in hand, I walked through the in-gates and then walked through out-gates and the machine kept my ticket. I made an indignant sound and said to the Thai security guard: “it ate my ticket! I haven’t used it yet!” The guard half-smiled as he listened to my protestations and finally (probably because it was easier), he sent me to the ticket booth, where a lady issued me a hand-written ticket. The guard then opened the manual gate to let me through – but I shook my hand at him and said “no… thank you. I’ll be right back.” He looked puzzled as I hurried down the stairs to my vendor and completed my purchases. She was very happy I had returned.

I then re-walked up the same stairs, looked ruefully at the guard, who grinned at me, exaggeratedly let me through the gate, and then immediately got on his radio. I don’t know what he said, obviously, but as I arrived at the BTS platform, 3 guards simultaneously turned to look at me. Internally I groaned but outside I gave them a sweet smile all while wondering how I manage to be so… me… while others go through life with such elegance and ease. Hmmm…

The Skytrain arrived, I boarded, sat down and began reading a newspaper. I am very at ease in the Skytrain and I was so interested in the machinations of the current Thai “Caretaker” Prime Minister that I forgot to switch trains. Ok, now, this day was beginning to look a little… hexed. I got off at the next station and waited for what felt like an hour to return to the “Siiiiam, Interchange Station.” I resumed full functionality after happily receiving my Korean Visa. Bad and good things come in 3s: 3 not-quite-Bridget stories in 30 minutes, 3 stamped visas: Thai, Cambodian, and Korean. [smile]

The almost amusing, almost well-traveled,

--Laura

PS: Speaking of Bridget, who is always concerned about her weight, the Korean Embassy is near a few Westernized department stores and I must confess that I’m getting sick of everything I have to wear – especially the items that look as if I’ve worn them a lot (i.e. my white shirts). The problem with me shopping in Thailand is that the majority of Thai ladies are tiny and exquisitely dressed – and they have the shops and the street vendors to enable this. Sadly, on Thai terms, I am really fat. Upon rare occasion, you can find items in bigger (“tourist”) sizes and the one time I actually considered buying an outfit, it was obvious that even the tourist size wouldn’t fit me. Well, maybe someday (today’s picture is to remind me of someday). Anyway, I went through one Western department store near the embassy looking for items in my size and came up empty-handed. While I congratulated myself on not having to resist the temptation of buying something, I also bemoaned that I could not buy anything. Of course, later that day I went to another department store and found 4 items that fit me – the new stock in Espirit is v. cute – and I did buy 1 item. I happily announced to my friend that evening “I found that fat lady’s department” – although of course, there is no such thing. My friend thinks that there will be in a few years (the Thai diet is shifting to a lot more sugar than is healthy).

PS II: While I may not be “Laura Drumm, already a legend…” by some estimations, I am remarkably similar to a Thai pop star by the name of Suri. I was highly flattered! Check this out: http://www.suriclub.com/suri_home.php

No comments: