Friday, March 21, 2008

Dear Friends and Family,

Because pictures can save you all from thousands of words from me, here are a few more pictures of the Forbidden City.

A solitary soldier guarding Tiananmen Square – there were hundreds but I feared photographing groups of them.


Mao, enshrined at the head of Tiananmen Square, entombed at the foot.


Roof lines and “peach vats”
(bronze vats that actually held water in case of a fire).


Mouth-watering colors, intricate tile work.


Would you anger these lions?


The emperor’s throne in the incongruously named
Palace
of Heavenly Purity
.


Imperial garden “shelter” – a more accurate label continues to evade me.


Treasure.


More treasure. I’d want this globe, if I could read it!


A cunning clock.



This one can literally move.
The Clock Exhibition Hall was too dark for me
to convey any truly incredible clocks.



Jasmine Blooming Flower Tea.
A single ball of leaves blooms into a flower
that can flavor at least 5 cups of tea. Pretty and refreshing.


The Forbidden City.

--Laura

No comments: