Sunday, June 01, 2008

Dear Family and Friends,

Recently, after signing an official document stating my intention to not renew my employment contract with the city of Daegu, I found my hands shaking. I sucked in a steadying breath and discovered my whole body shaking. I had no second thoughts; nonetheless, with a few strokes of a pen, I had thrown away a job I love and a secure home. Although I am employed for another three months, mentally I have already begun the process of parting. Well, at the very least, I’ve begun the pre-departure list of things to do. On that list, as always, is this blog.

A few months ago, on January 12, 2008 to be exact, I attempted to explain why I do not write about my life in Korea as I write about my travels. Of course, my answer to that question was complicated but boiled down to worry. Look, travel writing of the pedestrian sort that I practice is easy because I merely weave together random facts and impressions. I’m careful to keep these truthful but inaccuracies can easily be excused with, “well, those were just my impressions” or “well, I was only there for 3 hours.” But to write about the people I live amongst, the people that I love, even if I stick to “my impressions,” compels me to represent them fairly, with accuracy – but I worry that I may not be able to write about Korea either fairly or accurately. And yet, you may recall that I ended that January entry by asking, “if I do not share the Korea that I love – garbage and all – with you all now, then when shall I?”

Obviously, I need to share the Korea I know with you all now. Before I go. Therefore, my goal is to write 5 entries a week about Korea for the entire month of June. Wish me luck… and hold me to it, ok?

Yours,
Laura



My friend Park, EunKyeong jumping for joy by the seaside in Gampo.

No comments: