Saturday, September 27, 2008

Check this out: if you take an overnight coach in China, you (may) sleep in bunk beds. You climb aboard a bus equipped with upper and lower bunks, each bed is slightly elevated in lieu of a big pillow but nonetheless includes a grain pillow and a comforter.

I discovered this on my way from Qingdao to Shanghai: after leaving my backpack in the lower hold, I climbed aboard and my jaw dropped even as the driver pointed me to the top bunk right behind him. I had to lever myself up like a gymnastist on the parallel bars (the first time I've used junior high gymnastic skills since well... junior high!) - and no doubt I amused all the passengers behind me while I tried to grasp my excitement about this novel way of travel.

Anyway, I used the word "sleep" but what I actually meant is, after a fascinating conversation with a near-genuis areonautical engineer also on his way to Shanghai, you lounge uncomfortably while half of your body falls asleep. Then you switch positions and let another portion of your anatomy fall asleep. You watch the darkened countryside flash by, sometimes illuminated by saffron lights or highway toll booths, until you get stuck in stop and go traffic on the outskirts of a big city that turns out to be Shanghai.

I had thought this sort-of bus only exisited in J.K Rowling's imagination! --Laura


* * * * *


A myriad of Shanghai city scenes
collected by the Shanghai Art Museum.

No comments: