Friday, December 12, 2008

Dear Friends and Family,


Perhaps it is the less than congenial computers or perhaps it is just that I’m too often on the rails or road, but I have yet to put together words that might best describe my latest adventures for you all. Since departing Rishikesh at the end of November, I've been to Amritsar, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur and minutes from now, I'm getting on a bus for Ajmer to Pushkar. So today, in lieu of lots words, lots of pictures.

India is wondrous.

With love,

Laura




Kali, Hindu Goddess of Scariness - at Amritsar's Mata Temple.



I've been vegetarian for 45 days - plus!
- with this single, delicious exception.




Amritsar's golden, Golden Temple.



Agra's Itimad-Ud-Daulaugh - tomb of
Empress Nur Jahan's beloved parents Mizra Ghias Beg and Asmat Begum.



Inside Itimad-Ud-Daulaugh.
Many believe that elements of Itimad-Ud-Daulaugh inspired
Emporer Shah Jahan 10 years later when he commissioned his Taj Mahal.




Sunrise at the Taj Mahal.



Heart-stoppingly beautiful inlay at the Taj Mahal.



The Taj Mahal in early morning sunlight.



Jehangir's Palace at the Agra fort.




Sorry - tip your head right - Jaipur's Palace of Winds.




Detail from the Diwan-i-Am (Hall of Public Audience) in
Jaipur's Amber Fort-Palace.



Garden in the Amber Fort-Palace.



Rumored to be the largest silver objects in the world,
built to hold holy water from the Ganges for one Jaipurian Maharaja's journey to England.




Houston, we have another palace: this time Udaipur's Palace.




Udaipur's Jagmandir Island - some also say a stay on this island
inspired Emporer Shah Jahan when he later built the Taj.
Although I personally could't see a single daytime resemblance,
the island was very pretty from a distance, after sunset.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! My friend, Laura! I'm Younji!
Absolutely, You remember me! (Aren't you?///)
Wow! I am so surprised! Because your blog! It's full of your story and your think!

I am so good! You? yeah!! I hope that you are good!

Take care! and I love you!

Unknown said...

Dearest Laura -
The pictures are delightful! Your travels always inspire me to look out of the box, and this time, you really stepped out :)
Thanks for the email update on your whereabouts, I wish we could have had a visit before your departure.

Your humor is grand and I miss you!
Thanks for posting - these are great... especially "Houston, we have another palace. . " Love it!
Live spiritedly, my dear.
Love,
Pam

Angela said...

Laura,

I was looking online for information about Rishikesh Yog Peeth and found your blog. Thank you for sharing this-- I am not sure if it was your intention to share it to the world but, I am priveleged to get not only a glimpse of the place (besides the website) but your honest thoughts on it. I am graduating college in the States and traveling to Asia this summer... planning to study Yoga is Rishikesh. I am really excited, but ofcourse with the normal apprehensions-- any other advice?

-Angel

Angela said...

Laura,

I was looking online for information about Rishikesh Yog Peeth and found your blog. Thank you for sharing this-- I am not sure if it was your intention to share it to the world but, I am priveleged to get not only a glimpse of the place (besides the website) but your honest thoughts on it. I am graduating college in the States and traveling to Asia this summer... planning to study Yoga is Rishikesh. I am really excited, but ofcourse with the normal apprehensions-- any other advice?

-Angel

The Adventures of Laura Drumm said...

Angela,

Send me an e-mail at lauradrumm@hotmail.com and I'll send you a thoughtful reply about traveling in India. I'd been to 15 some-odd countries by the time I traveled in India, and yet, I still had a few lessons to learn! --Laura