Saturday, July 29, 2006


Dear Family and Friends,

Friday has nearly ended, as has my CELTA acquisition time here in Bangkok. Well, technically the course ended earlier today… but for me it’ll truly be over just after I try not to let the tears spring to my eyes, hug my closest friend here, and climb into a taxi on my way to the bus station. Tomorrow I’m off to fulfill one of my strongest long-term, traveling desires: I’m to visit Cambodia’s Angor Wat. I’d like to be excited but as today draws to a close, I’m a shade melancholy and very much “knackered.”

I have so that I could say – ok, that’s so not a surprise! - but for its safety and my convenience, my “baby” will be locked especially safe at Wendy House while the majority of my possessions will take up residence in a friend’s room. I plan to climb into the taxi with a few of my newest “mates” – one of which happily resides in Siem Reap – the town nearest to Angor Wat – and cannot wait to show us how beautiful Cambodia and its people are. I love picturing Cambodia through his eyes and look forward to making my own observations and eliciting stories from others. I strongly suspect that there shan’t be any postings to this blog until my return to Bangkok on August 5th. But I will keep safe and write you well upon my return.

Be well.

Laura

PS: I’m not sure how my classmates would feel about me posting this picture but luckily for me and any of you that are curious regarding the company that I’ve been keeping, we are all very busy dispersing. We are off to Korea, Siem Reap (not coincidentally), Pakistan, Siem Reap (the inspiration), Japan, Siem Reap (again?!), the Thai country-side, her home in Bangkok, India, Siem Reap (that sleepy person is me), back to work in Bangkok and (not pictured) to frolic in Bangladesh. I do not find this picture flattering nor an accurate reflection of group dynamics but it does prove that I remain alive and that I’m in a place that uses white board labels to congratulate.

No comments: