Tuesday, July 04, 2006


Dear Family and Friends,

My last hurrah before joining the ECC School orientation at 2 pm on Sunday was to visit the Jim Thompson House Museum. The place is about 4 blocks away from “W” House, truly a single “soi” (little street – i.e. an alleyway) away. I arrived before the gates were supposed to be open, early enough to wander the front gardens and snap a picture of the spirit house. When the shutters of the ticket booth opened, I slipped 100 B through the glass and a few minutes later found myself touring with a Thai guide and even agreeing to assist her with an English essay.

A few days ago I mentioned that James H. W. Thompson was an entrepreneurial American with a sketchy background who reinvigorated the Thai silk market after World War II, and made a fortune doing so. Previous to joining the Pacific front of the War, Mr. Thompson was an architect and his artistic eye was used to great advantage when assembling his Bangkok home. Although Mr. Thompson’s first step in building was rather unusual! Thompson traveled the Thai countryside, acquired traditional houses, had them taken to pieces, and sent to Bangkok. There, he combined the houses into individual rooms, forming a single home where examples of Thompson’s love for Thai art, his creative vision, and his good taste were evident throughout. Each traditional house was re-assembled in-side-out in order to utilize the beautiful outside carvings as interior paneling, spaces intended for windows were converted into gold Thai silk niches, and teak floors are to this day smooth against the soles of the feet. The house and gardens are themselves architectural marvels; but what I liked best was the art that adorned them including beautifully carved wooden furniture, the blue and white Chinese pottery, and importantly, several fine, rare Buddhas. Mr. Thompson resided in Thailand for 22 years and it is obvious that he passionately loved its people and its art. Perhaps his love was strong enough to infect the casual visitor, 40 years on?

So now I must make a confession: I’m actually not a huge fan of Asian art or architecture. However, after a taste of pulp from a fresh tamarind and now having spent an hour exploring the Jim Thompson house, I can feel a subtle shift in my appreciation. Although a shift to what, I truly cannot say.

The web site: http://www.jimthompsonhouse.com/.

--Laura

By the way, Jim Thompson Thai silk is also to fall in love with. In the gift shop, I could barely keep my gasps of appreciation and hands to myself. Unthinkingly, I pulled out my camera and snapped a blurry photo, I was about to try again when I was hurriedly but politely reprimanded. I decided against a new Thai silk top (ok, I truly wouldn’t have anyway) and was soon on my way to Gourmet Market for a little pre-school retail therapy…

No comments: