Thursday, August 10, 2006


Dear Friends and Family,

Although the sun has not yet begun to rise over Bangkok, I’ve ended my uneasy night’s sleep, said a mental “good morning” to the noisy ice factory men who often act as my alarm clock, and am now finishing final departure details. At 8:30 this morning, train number 9 will pull away from Hualamphong station and I plan to be aboard that train and on my way to Chang Mai. It has been a busy few days: I’ve conducted a heated internal debate about what next, done a fair bit of writing, met with two sets of students for two lunches (fun), sent out resumes, responded to e-mails, done additional research into Asian countries, and explored the best way and where to escape Bangkok. I had originally thought to depart from Bangkok on Wednesday but delayed. Taking a 10 hour bus ride to Chang Mai, although cheap, didn’t much appeal and I realized that I was a bit scared to leave. So I sat myself down to free write a list of fears – which was actually a rather interesting exercise. I then read through the list and either figured out how to alleviate the fears or acknowledged the fear and told myself why I should indeed move on. Finally, I pulled out Goethe’s:

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Ok, begin it now. Begin it now. Begin it now...

Refueled in my determination to continue exploring Thailand, yesterday morning I walked out of Wendy House and asked one of the cab drivers that I always see hanging around in the alley to take me to the train station. He did, and I skirted the hawkers outside, went to a ticketing booth and bought myself a 2nd class fare to Chang Mai. I had originally intended to follow a CELTA friend’s advice and try the night train with a lower bunk on the “fan car” but those trains were full and the twelve hour ride that I’m taking should afford some nice Thai scenery as well as the ability to walk around. Please think positive thoughts re: the toilet situation – really, a door is all I hope for in this case.

My iPod alarm just went off and I notice that daylight is filtering through my yellow-striped curtains. I’d better shower and do my final packing. The main next-destination criteria was web access – and Chang Mai appears to have both wireless and regular aged-computer café Internet access. I’ll be in touch.

Happy trails – rails! – to you all.

Love,

Laura

PS: Today's picture: the carving at The Leper King Terrace. Two and a half days into temple visits and it still made me gasp and stop for a detailed examination.

No comments: