Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dear Family and Friends,

One of my favorite aspects of my sojourn in Korea is that everyday has the potential to offer something unexpected. Today’s unexpected occurred when I returned to the faculty room after class and found newly installed metal pipes protruding out specially placed window holes. The pipes are anchored to the ceiling via metal light fixture frames and lead down to shiny metal gas burning stoves. I was informed that these stoves are quite effective for heating rooms – and there now two in the faculty room, poised for action.

My surprise at these stoves spawned a discussion between us kindred English speakers (Korean, British and American alike) of the use of the word “stove” vs. the word “furnace.” We often have discussions like this. Without any dictionary guidance, I advocated the use of stove, as one can cook on these stoves. I’m not sure if this advocacy was bold or dumb. I must remember to look this up. I often find myself researching random English language questions like this.

Anyway, as I returned to my desk and pondered the best angle to sneak a picture for you all, I wondered: like earlier unexpected things that I’ve “discovered,” how soon will it be before these stoves are incorporated into my life to the point that I will no longer notice them?

Beats me. And now I must say "ciao" to you all because my toes are cold and I need to turn my ondol on.

Laura

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HERE IS TO HOPING THAT GREEN FLEECE WILL KEEP YOU WARM AND SNUGGLY.

ANYWAY HOW HARD COULD IT BE TO USE THIS CONFOUNDED MACHINE AND LEAVE A LITTLE COMMENT?