Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dear Friends and Family,

I don't know about you, but I've always thought that every date that involves duplicate numbers should be celebrated. You know, 1/1 (oh, wait we celebrate that one). Ok, well, you know, 2/2, 3/3, 4/4... 11/11. Happily, I am not the only one that holds this view and here in Korea, brave pioneers went one step further. On November 11, 1994, a few clever Korean middle school girls decided to exchange a popular stick snack called Pepero to wish each other “tall and slender growth.”

Hmmm... actually, while sorry to spoil a wonderful story, I must retract the above Pepero legend. Instead, strong rumor has it, that clever Lotte, one of South Korea’s chaebols (corporate conglomerates) and maker of Pepero snacks, likely invented this day of Pepero's in a spirit akin to Valentine’s Day - sans cards and cloying hearts (although many of the Pepero packs have Hello Kitty on them). Anyway, 11/11 in Korea is an unofficial holiday in which companies sell breadsticks dipped in chocolate, Peperos themselves, as well as other romantic gifts to celebrate love. A friend and I celebrated by snapping pictures of a 7-11. Romantic moments are truly in the eye of the beholder.

Beloved teachers also receive Peperos. Sadly, I didn’t get any Pepero – perhaps because I am not beloved or perhaps because Pepero fell on a Saturday this year. However, on Monday, one of the seniors, a girl that I do not even teach, brought me some traditional Korean candy (called yuk – is a yummy pumpkin taffy) and a sticky-rice cake filled with bean curd for “kindness rendered” to her. I was touched beyond pepero.

A belated Happy Pepero Day to you all,

Laura

No comments: